The cold winter weather is here and brings with it winter ailments such as colds, flu and viruses. A strong immune system comes in handy if we catch these dreaded illnesses. It helps lessen the severity of the symptoms, shorten the lifespan of the illness as well as helps us to recover properly.
This healthy juice is a great and easy way to kick start our day and boost our immune system. The freshly squeezed citrus flavour pairs well with the ginger to make a sweet, yet fiery drink that gives us a healthy dose of much-needed vitamin C. It is easy to make and you can customize it to your taste. It doesn’t need a blender or juicer as the fruit is squeezed by hand and dried ginger powder is used. Ginger powder has an earthy taste and is less spicy than fresh ginger. If you have Four Seasons Foods minced fresh ginger, you can also use that although you might need to use a blender for this option.
𝐇𝐄𝐀𝐋𝐓𝐇 𝐁𝐄𝐍𝐄𝐅𝐈𝐓𝐒 𝐎𝐅 𝐆𝐈𝐍𝐆𝐄𝐑
Ginger root has a long history of being used in traditional as well as in alternative medicine. Ginger is a superfood that contains high amounts of a substance called gingerol, which gives ginger its heat as well as its numerous health benefits. Ginger is high in antioxidants as well as anti-inflammatories. It is said to help in managing blood sugar, prevent heart disease, improve brain function, treat nausea, indigestion as well as help reduce muscle soreness.
𝐀𝐃𝐃 𝐌𝐎𝐑𝐄 𝐈𝐌𝐌𝐔𝐍𝐄 𝐁𝐎𝐎𝐒𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝐁𝐄𝐍𝐄𝐅𝐈𝐓𝐒 𝐓𝐎 𝐘𝐎𝐔𝐑 𝐃𝐑𝐈𝐍𝐊
You can easily customize this drink to get more immune-boosting benefits with a few additions:
– Turmeric Powder: it has a similar earthy flavour to powdered ginger and pairs well with ginger. It is highly anti-inflammatory.
– Cinnamon Powder: will add in some aromatic sweet flavour. It helps in controlling blood sugar and is a great immune booster.
– Cayenne Pepper: To give these shots a little more kick of heat and it improves circulation and digestion.
– Honey: You can add a bit of honey especially if you incorporate lemons or grapefruit. Honey is great in winter for soothing sore throats as well as providing nutrients.
– Other Citrus Fruit Varieties: You can give the juice extra citrus flavours by adding lemon juice, grapefruit or any other fruits. These will help load up on extra vitamin C as well as other nutrients.
𝐆𝐈𝐍𝐆𝐄𝐑 𝐎𝐑𝐀𝐍𝐆𝐄 𝐉𝐔𝐈𝐂𝐄 𝐑𝐄𝐂𝐈𝐏𝐄
2 glasses freshly squeezed orange juice
½ a teaspoon Four Seasons Foods ginger powder
Combine the juice and ginger and stir well. Chill the drink until ready to serve. Just before serving stir the juice and enjoy.